Monday, August 8, 2011

Chia bread


I usually bake a couple of straightforward loaves of bread each week in our bread machine - pretty much the same wholemeal recipe each time, sometimes with grains and seeds. However, as part of crowding out non-veggie foods, I've been busy trying as many new foods as I can, mostly buying first and working out a use later. Chia seeds are one thing that has been hanging around a while looking unloved. I decided to try it in a bread, despite having read somewhere that it forms a gel in water (must be some interesting chemistry going on there...) - probably not good for getting a well risen bread. Sure enough tonight's loaf is somewhat err.. vertically challenged. The photo probably doesn't do it justice - it's really dense. I was thinking about donating it to my niece as the first brick for her new house, but it looked a bit like a delivery car, maybe a baker's van?


No comments:

Post a Comment