Sunday, August 7, 2011

One book too many...

I've always been interested in nutrition - actually I think most people are to some extent, hence the constant media coverage of the latest health studies. Also, like lots of 30-something parents, I started feeling less healthy than I wanted to be. So, I started reading in-depth about nutrition and health. In May, I read a book that completely changed my viewpoint - "The China Study" written by T. Colin Campbell and his son. I couldn't believe that I didn't know, or hadn't fully appreciated, the extent to which animal products are linked to chronic diseases. The book is very well written and the scientific case for optimal health linked to a whole foods, plant-based diet is overwhelming. So, that's the main catalyst in how I decided to make a big change to my eating habits by cutting out all animal products and relying on unrefined wholefoods where possible. Campbell is careful to not describe his recommended eating habits as "vegan." This seems to be because he doesn't want his health message to be confused with the (often) ethically-centred vegan "cause." I can certainly understand, because the word vegan smacks of extremism to a lot of people. But, at least vegan is succinct -  WholeFoodsPlantBasedDietMista would be a bit of a mouthful for my new blog name. I would recommend anyone and everyone to read The China Study, even if you have absolutely no intention to modify your diet - it puts a lot of the fragmented stuff you hear about nutrition and health into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment